Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Baby shower!

My dear, sweet friend Gabriela graced us with her presence this past Saturday, all for the purpose of celebrating the blessing God has given her.  Her precious first child, Samuel, is due in February and those of us that love her couldn't be happier!  Having met in Bible study at Community Bible Church, our girlfriend relationship is close and God-centered, as every relationship should be! 
 
So in preparation for the shower I had fun making a few goodies. 
 
First, I bought these bags at the dollar store.  Yes- the dollar store!  My Cricut can cut these bags, but it's way more cost effective to get 12 to a pack-- for just a dollar!-- already cut and ready to be folded.  I found them in the bridal section, and being plain white makes it easy to dress them up however you please. 
 
 
So I stamped some stars (CTMH stamps) with slate gray ink.
 
 
I cut blue strips to wrap around the bag and stamped that with a star border (CTMH) also. 
 
 
Using the Cricut Animal Kingdom cartridge, I cut the little lamb out and used a sponge with the same slate gray ink to give the white some texture.  Layer it all on, add blue tissue paper and candies to the inside, and voila, treat bags.  (I used a fine black pen to color in the eyes, nose, and other details.)
 
 
Next, I used the Noah's ABC Animals cartridge for more little lambs.  On these I used the same slate grey ink to add color, as well as Liquid Applique.  The Liq. Applique comes in a pen and you can draw anything you want with it; use a heat embossing gun to warm it all up and give it the raised, wool-looking effect!  This stuff also works really well for cupcakes, clouds, Santa's beard...
 
 
(Above it's still gooey, below it's been warmed up and it's puffy!)
 
 
Voila!
 
 
I added Stickles to the eyes, nose, and ear area for some extra sparkle.  Finally, I added wooden sticks to the back of each lamb, using one lamb on one of the cakes I made, and other lambs for placing in decorative boxes with candy.
 
 
Next, I made a banner, made up of six pennants, one shape on each end and "BABY" on the pennants in between.  I cut each letter out three times, twice in green so I could use pop dots for dimension, and once in blue for the very top layer.  I used the Cricut Baby Steps cartridge for this font and the Art Philosophy cartridge for the pennants  Satin ribbon is SU!, and I used the same star stamps from the treat bags above to stamp on the tan piece of cardstock.  I also used a border stamp for the faux stitching, added bling, and called it done. 
  
 
 
 
 
Here's the display table where we put a few gifts, the treat bags, and my Baby banner.  (Crown from Teresa Collins Sophisticated cartridge, circle baby pin from Mini Monograms cartridge.)
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also made onesies, adding toothpicks on the back, to be used as cupcake toppers.
 
 
Next, I made a 5x7 piece to be put into a frame for decorating baby Samuel's room.  I used the Baby Steps cartridge to cut out (after welding) his name, welcome, and baby.  Buttons from stash, twine is CTMH, scallop punch and ribbon are SU!, and you can see that I used the same CTMH star and faux stitching stamps around the edge. 
 
 
 
 
Lastly, I made a 12x12 layout to put into a shadow box with the title "God has heard" because that's what Samuel means in Hebrew.  I failed to get a picture of that... oops!  I also made a couple of cakes and cupcakes but didn't get pictures of that, either.  For shame, for shame because I forgot!!! 
 
Here's a group picture of our little group of Bible study girlfriends.  Gabriela was visiting from Dallas and her sister visiting from Venezuela, and we were missing Feride, who moved to Colorado.  That's me on the right wearing stripes (what was I thinking?!) and a cheesy grin, and our gorgeous Gabriela just glowing next to me.  :D
 
 
Sweet friends, wonderful fellowship, all for the glory of our faithful and loving God.
 
Blessings,
Martha
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow Martha! You've totally outdone yourself! Everything is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. suuuuuuuuuuper cute! all of it!! (and don't you just love dollar store finds! woohoo!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful set of decorations! That is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete